Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Friday, July 12, 2013

Peach Trifle




I first heard of the dessert "trifle" back in 1989 when I visited relatives who live in England. Designed to use up left over cake or lady finger cookies by layering fruit and pudding and/or whipped cream with the cookies in a deep bowl (usually a pedestal bowl as seen here), trifles are now a classic.

And what could be better than making a trifle with farm-fresh fruit?
Guest blogger Gladys Clark sent me the note below, with her recipe and a picture of her beautiful creation. When I read her email and saw the picture, I was transported back to that nice vacation where I learned many English ways. Thanks, Gladys, for making my job a bit easier today! (but you didn't invite me over for leftovers....I'm guessing that there weren't any!)

Marcheta *transported via food

Gladys writes:

I have this recipe for Peach Trifle & have been waiting to find peaches. Yesterday I went to NorthSide Farmers Market, dodging the rain drops, I found the peaches!
 
Company arriving today I am sure they will enjoy & appreciate my efforts.
(I threw in a few blueberries I had to add a little color)
 
     Peach Trifle
 
6 peaches, peeled & sliced      
6 T sugar sprinkled over            
Put in frig. overnight
 
1 loaf pound cake
1 Instant vanilla pudding mix, prepared
1 carton cool whip  (for topping)
Layer sliced pound cake in bottom of trifle dish
Top with a layer of peaches
Cover peaches with a layer of pudding
Repeat with a second layer, beginning with the pound cake, continuing with peaches & pudding.
Refrigerate for several hours or overnight
WHEN READY TO SERVE
Spread with a layer of cool whip
Sprinkle chopped pecans on top (I used butter brickle chips)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment