Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Monday, December 30, 2013

Goals

A new year is a good time to set and work on goals. My goal for 2013 was this blog. My intention of posting daily fell by the wayside this fall, but still I feel successful. After all, a daily posting was an ambitious goal and I was not sure I could pull it off.
 
 
 
The project that I have chosen to work on for 2014 combines a new goal with an old one. I've been interested in making a few (simple!)cookbooks for a few years. Of course, I want the format to be consistent, but did want the process to be complicated. About three years ago I bought a software that I thought would be helpful, but even though it was a Windows platform, it did not play nice with my Windows OS. I gave up on publishing a cookbook, but continued to collect and tweak recipes to my liking.
 
For Christmas, Jim gave me a new software called Cook'n. I've spent the afternoon becoming familiar with it, and I think that I finally have the right tool at the right time of my life to achieve the goal.
 
The recipe today is one that I captured from the Betty Crocker website using the Cook'n software, which imported and formatted it for me. Then I was able to edit the recipe to fit the changes that I made.
 
The software has many themes, I chose this one because I thought it looked nice with the recipe.
 
What are your goals for 2014? A new project? Finishing an existing project? No projects? Travel? Whatever they are, I wish you much success.

Marcheta *let's do this!
 

Baked Butternut Squash with Apples




2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 pounds butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
2 to 3 large baking apples cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (4 cups)
1/4 cup real maple or maple-flavored syrup
1/4 cup chopped pecans toasted*



 
 
 Heat oven to 375°F. Place butter in 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish; heat in oven 5 to 7 minutes or until melted.

 Stir cinnamon and nutmeg into melted butter. Add squash; toss to coat. Cover with foil; bake 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix apples, and syrup.

 Pour apple mixture over squash. Cover; bake 10 minutes. Stir; bake 5 to 10 minutes longer or until squash is tender. Stir before serving and sprinkle with pecans.

3 comments:

  1. The recipe instructions mention vinegar, but I don't see an amount listed in the ingredients. What kind of vinegar and how much? Sounds like a recipe I might try. We like roasted butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that! I omitted the vinegar from my recipe. The original calls for 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.

    Thanks for posting and bringing it to my attention...now I know to be more careful when I change things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I changed the directions in my version that omits the vinegar. If you want to include it, add the one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar when the syrup is added. Good luck, and let me know what you think of the recipe if you try it :)

    ReplyDelete