Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Coming in for Splash-down





A fine mist of a fog created interesting lighting this morning during my nature walk at the twin reservoirs. What seemed like an endless supply of Canada geese, which used to be neighbors from the North of the Border but now are permanent residents of Ohio, flew in for landings. I'm tellin' ya, it was one big slash after another! I was thankful for my good luck of absorbing some of the energy these geese generated. It truly set me up for a great day.

We are now in "wreath season", which means that I hand-tie hundreds of bows, much to the dismay of my thumbs, which are begging to be eligible for retirement. No such luck as we have "naked" wreaths, but today my hands got break from ribbon duties for an old familiar workout.

 Last October we stored a bushel of apples on the cellar steps because we were totally out of refrigeration room. This works pretty good, especially if the weather stays cold. This year, though, the apples were losing quality pretty fast. Not wanting my harvest work to degrade into deer food, I set out to "do up" the 3/4 bushel remaining.

This entailed making fried apples for lunch, and tossing in about half a cup of leftover cranberry sauce just as the apples were tender. Oh, let me tell you this: it was some serious YUM!

After lunch I made an apple crisp. While it was in the oven, I peeled and cooked down the rest of the apples. It took about an hour to make the apple sauce, which went in the freezer.

All in all, it was a good afternoon's work, and one that I am glad to finally have behind me.  To celebrate I don't exactly feel like splashing around in cold water...but a nice hot soak in the tub sounds mighty inviting :)

As for the deer? Well, they are not forgotten; we have a huge pile of apple peels for their evening treat. :)

And all I can say now after peeling that many apples, the doctor BETTER stay away!

Marcheta *splish, splash...where's my bath?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment