Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Friday, November 14, 2014

A Flakey Situation

 
We're finally building a garage.
 
So, naturally, it snowed on the start day.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lucky for the builders, the snow was not too aggressive until later, when the sun had gone down and outside work was done for the day.





I am so impressed with our contractor, Tom Clevenger, and his crew. Even though it is only 27F today, they are back on the job.


I don't even know how to act this winter, being able to keep our vehicles out of the weather and not have to scrape off windshields as we've been doing the past 20+ years. :)


The top photo shows the location of the garage, a bigger-than-most building because Jim wants to be able to park his plow truck in it with plow and salter attached. Also, there will be a nice sized bonus room in front. This space is for the orchard harvest and also for me to finally have a studio outside of the house.  You can see one of our orchards in the background. Here's the thing: I am happy to have this building, but very sad at the same time because it will block that wonderful view when I step out my back door.

Yes.

I lost the argument of where to locate the building. My idea was in front of the orchard, Jim's was up next to the house.

You can see who has more power around here. :)

But.

I plan to get my way with the interior.  My vision for it is "Happy Fifty's Kitchen". A bright, sunshiny place to work and to have craft parties with my family and friends. Ahhh...I get the warm-fuzzies just thinking of all the possibilities!

Again, I don't know how to act, not having clutter of fruit and craft supplies spewing out of every corner of my house. :)   But I have a feeling that in both instances, I'll adjust just fine.

Just fine!

Marcheta *fine by me


No comments:

Post a Comment