Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Saturday, November 22, 2014

Favorite Things: Homemade Cookbooks

I love handmade books. For me, they are much more than recordings  of stories, thoughts, or recipes. They are full of the love and dedication that was put into producing them. I came across these two beauties (circa late 1970's) at the Friends of the Galion Public Library's used book sale.
 
 
The darling hand-painted covers drew me right in. On closer inspection, I discovered that the covers were made by Connie Eichhorn, a full-time country woman who lived on a grain farm, had an in-home ceramic studio, and helped her husband run a saw mill business. 
 
*WHEW* That makes me tired just typing it!  
 
Connie had many talents, not only as a visual artist, but also musically. She was the Jr. Choir director at our church, teaching very young children to sing. My children were all in Connie's choir and my daughter, Meghan, went on to become a music teacher.
 
 
Connie was a member of a hospital "Twig", volunteer organizations that worked on fundraisers for the hospital as well as donating their labor in places like manning the hospital's front desk or working in the gift shop and cafeteria. My guess is that Connie and her Twig members made these books as one of their fundraisers. 
What is extra special about these books is that they are extremely low-tech by today's standards.
 
Can you imagine the time that these women put into producing their books? The covers appear to be coated wallpaper. I can picture Connie drawing and painting each one by hand.
 
 
And then, there was the "inside jobs".
 
 
 
 Each page was typed on old-fashioned ribbon typewriters on a special two-part carbon paper. The carbon part fit on a machine called a mimeograph to make copies.
 
mimeograph machine
Then, each page was cut and put in order and stapled to the covers. 
 
 
This post is dedicated to those who volunteer to make our communities better places to live, like Connie. Connie is in ill health these days. By sharing her talents as an artist and musician, her legacy keeps her in the hearts of those she touched.
 
Marcheta *touched by an angel
 


2 comments:

  1. Adorable books! I think I was once a co-patient with Connie in the hospital many years ago. I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marchetta, it's nice to meet you! I loved the story of the homemade cookbooks, and enjoyed a little walk through your blog. Of course you're welcome to the photo, especially since I got it from someone else he same way you got it from me!
    My only time in Ohio was a very quick drive-through nearly 20 years ago, but if we are ever in your area we'll stop by and say hello and maybe see your orchard.
    Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete