Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Saturday, November 30, 2013

Got the Spirit? Let's Hear It!




The first job that I do each year that ushers in the Christmas spirit for me is to gussy up Galion Public Library with fresh-from-our-farm greens and wreaths. I am glad that we have this contract because it transitions my soul from mourning the loss of autumn to the joyous Christmas season of special programs, concerts, meals, and family traditions.


As you can see, the sky was a brilliant shade of blue today when I installed the greens.

I've not always been so lucky....today's 41 degrees felt downright balmy compared to years when I'd be out in below freezing weather, sometimes accompanied by freezing rain or snow, trying to wire pine rope, swags, and bows on the beautiful antique wrought iron fence.

Galion is lucky to have such a beautiful library building. Back in the day, forward thinking citizens of Galion matched Carnegie funds and gave our town a legacy.

But wait!

There's more!

Not only do we have this fantastic building, which is also an important part of American history, Galion has a top-notch library staff to go with it.  And I ain't just whislin' Dixie...the staff truly cares about library patrons and goes the extra mile...not only for library business, but also as a hub to connect different people and projects together. With excellent adult and children programs, the library is also a valuable center of learning and entertainment.


As I was installing the greens today, I pondered the fact that Jim and I have been making greens for the library's Christmas for about 20 years (I know! time flies faster than the speed of life!). I just about couldn't get over that fact, and was humbled by the idea of it. l feel extremely privileged to be the person the library board trusts to do the outdoor decorations for the very special season of Christmas.

Marcheta *the fortunate one

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment