Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Saturday, March 16, 2013

Quilts, the Real "Flux Capacitor" ?



According to Doc in Back to the Future, the Flux Capacitor is what makes time travel possible. It was never explained just how it worked or what it really was. I am thinking....is there more than one way to make a flux capacitor?
I mean...could a person stitch up a "time machine"?


Do you have a memory that is wrapped in a quilt? If you do, then I think that that quilt could very well be your own, personal flux capacitor. The wonderful thing about handmade quilts is that they work "double duty" magic...they keep us warm both literally and emotionally.



Today as we approach St. Patrick's Day, which is also National Quilt Day, the Irish Chain quilt pattern comes to my mind. It occurs to me how different quilt patterns comforted home-sick people who found themselves living far from loved ones. In the case of the Irish Chain, the distance  spanned an ocean.

The quilt pattern that I associate with my maternal grandmother is the Double Wedding Ring because it was grandma's favorite pattern to sew. I've often wondered why she loved making them because the pattern is a bit complicated (lots of curved seams to put together and a scalloped edge to boot...whew!). For me, the home-sickness of missing my beloved grandmother spans an ocean of time. Wrapping myself in one of grandma's quilts is like having her loving arms wrapped around me again. I imagine that for early Irish settlers, making a quilt from their homeland was a bit like that, too. If these aren't examples of flux capacitors, then I don't know what are.

Making a quilt is a huge commitment of time. I've made a few quilted items and even a twin-sized bed quilt. I've never made an Irish Chain, although they are relatively easy. And I can't imagine ever attempting the Double Wedding Ring pattern, my skill and patience does not run that deep!

I found this free pattern for piecing together the Irish Chain quilt (pictured above) at Simply Creative. I am thinking of making "time machine" quilts of my own to pass down to my grandkids. The Irish Chain seams  seems like a good choice for me wee leprechauns! :)

Marcheta *in a state of constant flux

No comments:

Post a Comment