Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Whistle While You Work



Yesterday we woke up to a few inches of snow which fell overnight. It was a quiet morning, shrouded in white.  Shortly after I was up, a few birds broke the silence with their songs…songs of hope, or praise, or joy, or all of the above- no one really knows. Birds take life as it comes and make the best of it. This is a good lesson for us humans. Other than ski enthusiasts and owners of snow resorts, I imagine most of us grumbled when we saw the snow. And I don’t think that grumbling counts as song *smiles*.

The snow, for me, was a good excuse to continue doing nothing (which was my weekend goal, successfully achieved, I might add).  I got into that mode late Saturday afternoon after a lovely trip to Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area to watch migrant Trumpeter swans. The air felt warm; 42f- and the sky was filled with shades of blue that were almost impossible to believe. Could it be that new shades of blue had been invented, or could it be that a winter full of grey skies had caused me to forget the awesomeness of blue skies?
Clouds swept away those blue pigments in a hurry, by Sunday morning the sky was prepped and ready for snow. I must admit that I like snow, even the early Spring variety. I’ll take it over cold, dreary rain any day. But that taste of spring on Saturday was enough of a teaser to make Monday’s snow harder to appreciate.
As I stood at a window, feeling nice and cozy inside while taking pictures of cardinals, chickadees, woodpeckers, blue jays, and sparrows flitting about looking for food, I changed my attitude. The birds literally “whistled while they worked”.  I realized that if those little feathered creatures could get their jobs done on a cold, snowy day (and in a happy manner) so could I.
I can’t whistle worth a hoot, and even my humming a happy tune is off key, so I opted for listening to favorite songs. Somehow, music and snow seems like a marriage made in heaven. And with the Earth dressed like a cloud and filled with joyful noises, and no pressing work or deadlines looming over me, Monday ended up being a bit like heaven on earth for me. And I owe it all to a lesson learned from birds.
Marcheta *sweet tweets


 




No comments:

Post a Comment