Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Easy, Like Sunday Morning, French Toast

The next Full-time Country Woman to be featured here on O.C.J. is Corinne Gompf of rural Morrow County, Ohio.  I met Corinne and her husband, Matt, when they became vendors of NorthSide Farmers Market here in Galion and immediately liked them. The care that they put into their booth set up reflects the care that they give in growing and making their products. 

Not being a baker, I was a big fan of Corinne's home-baked breads.
Last summer Corinne,  Matt  and "big brother" Fletcher have welcomed baby Emery to their family. With a baby and pre-chooler to take care of, plus adding a high-tunnel green house to their operation, Corinne does not have the time to bake bread for the markets these days. But, that said, any type of artisan bread will work to spiffy up ordinary French Toast. :)
 
The following story was orignially written for NorthSide Farmers Market's Facebook fan page in 2011.
 

 
 
Easy, Like Sunday Morning, French Toast

 The name, “Cinnamon Pecan French Toast” sounds a bit fancier, doesn’t it? And even brings up an image of being complicated to make because, well, what if you are out of pecans? But this delicious variation on classic French toast really is so easy to make that while I was fixing it, the song lyrics “easy, like Sunday morning” from the song, “Easy” by Lionel Richie ran through my head :)

What makes this recipe easy and uncomplicated? Corinne Gompf’s Cinnamon Pecan Bread. The only ingredients I needed to add were an egg and a splash of milk, and the milk is optional.

For my Sunday brunch meal, I used two slices of the cinnamon pecan bread dipped in one medium egg mixed with milk. I sautéed the slices in a bit of real butter. While they were cooking, I melted a tablespoon of my own strawberry freezer jam in the microwave. It took 20 seconds. I cut up half an orange and rinsed off about a dozen dark cherries.

Serve with a glass of your favorite beverage and you are Done!

What could be an easier ‘fancy’ brunch?

In making this I discovered that one egg was adequate for the two slices of bread. If I had a bigger appetite and wanted three slices of toast, I’d use a bigger egg and/or more milk. A good guide in making French Toast for several people is one egg per two slices of bread.
 
Marcheta *easy-peasy fancy...that's for me!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment