Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Drying Herbs

Today I gave the parsley a "hair cut". I brought the clipped herbs inside to dry for winter use.

There are many ways to dry, and even freeze, herbs. All are very easy, so there is no reason to let the plants go to waste after their growing time ends.

The easiest way is to simply put them in bundles and secure with  strings or rubber bands, then hang the bundles in a cool dark space if you have one. If you don't have a dark space, then cover with a paper bag (which also helps to keep them clean).

Judging by the amount of cobwebs in my house, I decided against hanging and dug out the food dehydrator. I set it on low, and will turn it off tonight because I am not sure how long it will take for the parsley to dry. If the parsley hasn't dried enough, then I will turn the dehydrator back on tomorrow morning and keep an eye on it. It should not take too long because the herb is not a dense plant. Drying time all depends on how much moisture is in the plant. 

The pictures show two ways that I approached drying. The first was to pull the flat heads off to make parsley flakes. That was pretty time consuming. The next two racks got the full sprigs; I am thinking that maybe after the sprigs have dried I can crumble them off the stems. 

This, my friends, is called an 'experiment'....(another way of excusing my laziness, LOL).

Another way to dry herbs is to spread them on flat sheets (like cookie sheets or jelly roll pans) and put them in a warm oven. Keep the oven door ajar to let air circulate. 

Next up: basil. I already put a batch in the freezer last month, as freezing is the best way to preserve it. Now is the time to finish off the plants, as they are about done with their life cycle. I may keep a small amount and bring in the house just to see how much longer they will live. Another experiment! But that is  how we learn, eh?

Marcheta *putting on her Mad Scientist Hat



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment