Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Is I Is, or Is I Ain't (Gonna be a WriMo)?


That is the question that has been burning in my brain the past few days. A Series of Unfortunate Events has put me way behind on my preparations for NaNoWriMo. As I slowly get caught up and organized, I am wondering if I really want to voluntarily put more stress in my life. Today, two days before NaNo begins, I don't have the answer to that question, and that alone is stressing me to a point.




NaNoWriMo is intense, to say the least. I figure at the rate I write fiction, I will need to devote 4 hours every day, including weekends, to be successful at ending up with 50,000 words by November's end.  Lately I haven't had the time or energy to spend 30 minutes or less writing this blog...so naturally I am having serious doubts about the whole deal.

So, here's what I am trying to convince myself: it will be OK if I fail. If I at least start, well...it's a start. If I don't start, if I don't go to the weekly write-ins, I'll have nothing but regret and probably guilt for being such a slacker, which in turn stress me. So I am going to be facing stress no matter which road I choose. Silly, huh? But that is the way that I roll.

As it stands now, I am signed in to my NaNo account. I plan to attend the kick off party at the library on Nov. 1 (this Friday already!). I'll do my best. And if I don't have my work finished by the end of the month, I'll have a good start on a worth-while winter project.

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch....

To make November run as smoothly as I can, I've been busy stocking up on food and stuffing the freezer with a lot of prep work (such as browned hamburger/onion for quick fix meals). Today I plan to set up a designated  work area. I've also been exploring the capabilities of my Galaxy Tab, and in doing so realized that I can open a Word document, click on the microphone icon and the software types what I speak. Some of the text is funky, but easily fixed.

I found that I don't like to write using that method, it is easier to type on a keyboard or write longhand in a notebook because I can delete or cross out junk, or cut and paste the junk to places where it isn't exactly junk any longer. Where the tab will be a help is in typing up notes that I scribble in notebooks by simple dictation. Sort of like having a real-live Steno assistant. The only problem that I have so far is understanding how to save the Word file to the micro-SD card that is in the tablet so that I can transfer the info to my NaNo folder on the PC. It's a learning experience, but a good one.

The next project will be to find pics that resemble my characters and pin them on a bulletin board near my work space.

Even though I am making progress, I feel like a salmon swimming upstream, as I am sure most other WriMo's are feeling, too. The cards seem to stack up against us. But, well, who knows what we will spawn? I just don't want to die after my 'baby' is born!

Marcheta *alive and kicking

No comments:

Post a Comment