Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Monday, October 7, 2013

NaNoWriMo



Are you wondering that maybe I went off the deep end and that I think  I am communicating with Mork from Ork?

That's ok if you do.



But, really, I am not.



Then, what the?



NaNoWriMo is acronym for National Novel Writing Month.


It happens every November. Beginning on November 1 and closing on November 30, people who sign up for NaNoWriMo dedicate themselves to writing a 50,000 word novel.

Yep.

In one month.

To be a part of NaNoWriMo, you set up an account on their website. Daily you upload your words and NaNo keeps track of them for you. The website also helps you to find support groups in your area.

A good example of NaNoWriMo success is the novel Water for Elephants, that became a movie. Can you imagine? I am blown away by this fact.



Inspired by friends who have achieved the NaNo goal, last year I thought, hey, why not? and signed up.


Even though I attended "write ins" at Galion Public Library, I was not able to stay focused on my work. The main reason was that I did not understand how to organize writing a book. Most of my NaNo time was spent working on character descriptions and, well, a story line to make the book interesting.

So this year, with last year's experience as motivation, I asked the library to schedule a "pre na-no" workshop to help people like me. Rachel, my wonderful editor at the Galion Inquirer, has agreed to lead these workshops.

Will I be successful this year? Only time will tell. To tell you the truth, part of the goal of starting this blog last January was to train myself to be dedicated to writing daily. Until the last few weeks, I feel satisfied with myself. I wrote even on days that were full and I was tired,  and, more impressive to me, making sure that I had blog posts scheduled to publish while I was on vacation. Adding setting up at art shows and cider time to my schedule messed up my good record, and I reverted back to "writing in my head", because even on days when I did not post here, I had words that I wanted to share. I told myself that I was "too tired" to blog, but in reality, I was just facing burn out.

Knowing these things, I am determined to keep November's slate as clean as possible. Sure, it does not take all day to physically write 1,666 words. What gets in the way is too many things that need attention and fracture my focus.

Orchard season will be over. Evergreen Season does not start until the end of November. Can I treat NaNoWriMo as my new 'job' and see it to completion?

All I know is that I am going to give it my best shot.

Marcheta *deadeye



3 comments:

  1. You go, girl! I enjoy your blog an am eager to follow your NaNoWriMo progress. Keep your readers posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years ago I started NaNoWriMo unofficially. It was quite the challenge. I wrote every day for the entire month of November 2011. I did not finish with a 50,000 word count but I did leave my characters in an awful situation. Getting half way to fifty thousand words created a sense of accomplishment.
    Last year 2 012, I officially signed up with NaNoWriMo started a new novel and FINISHED. Awesome feeling. Life has left me little time this past year for rewrites but I've promised myself I will.
    November 2013 is closing in on us rapidly. Time to sign up for NaNoWriMo once again. Yes, I think I will. But the questions are; Should I thaw out 'Hell Did Freeze' and breathe new life into Lance and the crew? Make "The Magic Around You' REWRITE my newest challenge? Or travel into a new and unknown world?
    What fun it will be to have another person involved. I may not get to a Galion write-in but write I will.
    Good Luck Marcheta and see you in the winners circle.
    Vallerie

    ReplyDelete