Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Saturday, October 26, 2013

Wicked Wind of the West



Talk about being blown away!

Today was the last farmers market for this season. Because Ava spent the night, Jim manned the market alone. We gals showed up around 10 to do our shopping. 


This is the first year that we did not have a good garden, so I was at the market to stock up on butternut squash and bell peppers to stuff and freeze and also pepper jelly and pepper "butter" (really mustard), and to purchase yummy baked goods one last time until the markets start up again in May. It was sad to say "see you in the spring" to our fellow vendors.

All I can say is that my hat is off (literally!) to the vendors, like Jim, who braved the cold and wind this morning. Ava and I shivered our way down the stands, even though we were bundled up. But not bundled enough because of the wind.

Back home, I put a small turkey in the oven and did some busy work. The sounds of the wind swirling through the woods was comforting, making me feel happy that I was inside a warm house.


I ventured out around 3 and was slapped in the face with a blast of wind before I could step off the porch.  I had not realized how much the wind had picked up, and to my surprise a large trash can was in the drive. I went out to put it away and my breath was blown away. The wind chimes, which normally tinkle out a pixie dust serenade, were blasting a full symphonic overture. There was a lot of energy kicking about in that blizzard quality wind, the cold pierced through my coat and sweater and headed straight to my bones. OK...it did not take any more convincing for me to head inside and take refuge on my sofa and snuggy blanket.


The aroma of the roasting bird, mingled with pumpkin spice scented candles, along with the howling wind and manic wind chime melange were more than enough to put me in a deep zoned out state, one that I've needed to be in all week. So I guess it is all good.

As Dorothy so wisely said, "There's no place like home". And, hey! She oughta know!

Marcheta *"Toto"ly glad to be home






Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment