Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Saturday, November 23, 2013

Shoulda


Snowing today.

How I love it.


***BUT***

Although I am ready, mentally, for the slower paced days that winter brings, I am not quite caught up with the fall chores that need to be done.





I am in good company. Even the poet Robert Frost found himself in a similar circumstance, as he eloquently recorded in his poem, The Star-Splitter:


"You know Orion always comes up sideways.
Throwing a leg up over our fence of mountains,
And rising on his hands, he looks in on me
Busy outdoors by lantern-light with something
I should have done by daylight, and indeed,
After the ground is frozen, I should have done
Before it froze, and a gust flings a handful
Of waste leaves at my smoky lantern chimney
To make fun of my way of doing things..." 

And so it was with me and the birds today. 

The lone feeder was completely empty, and I had as yet to put out 
more feeders and suet cages. 

Feeling guilty, I braved the fine, misty snow that traveled on a biter
wind to hang another feeder and the suet cage, which I had filled
with new cakes. And, guess what? 

Yep.

Nearly out of bird seed. :(

In all my "stocking up" on things to prepare for winter, I haven't gotten around stocking up on bird and cat food.

All is not lost, though...there was enough seed left to get my feathered friends through the night, and Jim had put ears of corn for Blue Jays and Woodpeckers to nosh on. 

Guess what is priority on my shopping list for tomorrow?

At least, I do not have to go feed the birds by lantern light, but I am sure that our winter constellation friend Orion, along with the airborne leaves, probably makes fun of the way that I do things, too. :)

Marcheta *slowly Gettin' 'er Done
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment