Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Thursday, January 24, 2013

Daydream Believer

Snow feels magical to me and is one of the reasons that I love winter. Today we woke up to a light dusting of snow that sparkled like tiny bits of diamonds strewn about a crusty blanket on the ground and clung to tree branches, defining their skeletal-like branches that reached up to a blue sky. A few white, fluffy clouds drifted overhead, creating a dream-like setting. It is still very cold, but I must be adjusting because it did not feel intolerable so I headed out with my camera.
At the reservoir the only animals out and about were crows.  I heard a beautiful song from a distant bird, as clear and shrill as the blue sky and cold air, but I never did locate it. Instead, the harsh ‘caws’ of several crows took my attention. This one really had something to crow about as it found a tasty tidbit in the bark of the tree it was foraging on. As I stood outside my car to get its picture, a slight gust of wind shook small, featherweight clumps of snow from tree branches. The sky was made to look even bluer by the contrast of snow on the ground and large, fluffy flakes floating towards earth. Again, I felt as if I were in some sort of dreamland and wanted the moment to last a long, long time. But, as most dreams are, it was fleeting and became a memory almost as soon as it started. These experiences are what fire me up for the rest of the day.
Back home it was a different story as far as birds were concerned. We have many different species at the feeders. The orange-bowl suet cakes are still a big hit. The treat for me were two stunning female cardinals because I need a good picture of one for the nature story I am working on for the Galion Inquirer. Again, out with the camera for a relaxing photo-shoot.
 My viewing session ended with crows…as I was photographing the female cardinals, I heard a huge racket in a large tree at the edge of the woods. Three crows had flown to it and were making a commotion. In a split second, a hawk flew up from the branches and took off for yonder blue skies, with the crows tight on its tail feathers. How that story ended, I can only imagine. But that is what magical winter days are about, aren’t they?
And now I have the song “Daydream Believer” by John Steward and recorded by Ann Murray and the Monkees stuck in my head, which is not a bad thing…
…our good times starts and end
Without dollar one to spend.
But how much, baby, do we really need?”
What are you dreaming about today?
Marcheta *oh, what can it mean?






 



No comments:

Post a Comment