Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Thursday, January 3, 2013

Frost on Snow

Again, this morning I woke up to extra bling on the snow. Frigid temperatures are keeping the snow from looking dull and flat. I was slow to leave my warm house this morning, but before I began a day of errands, I took a quick round to my favorite nature spot to find a very quiet scene. By the time I was finished with my banking, grocery shopping, Barnes and Noble browsing, etc., I was cold and tired and just wanted to come home, and by-passed a second chance at nature photography for the day. Ah, well, there's  always tomorrow, eh?

Cold nights like these are good for reading, and what better way to ease into a reading session than a few poems?

I believe that one reason Robert Frost is a favorite poet is because his poems are rural and folksy. Even if you don't have a fireplace, you get the feeling of being cozied up by crackling flames as you read his words. Well, at least I do.

For this poem, I had to look up 'conie' because the only conies I know are hot dogs with chili (and God, how I love them!). It's always good to learn new things, and tonight I learned that 'conie' is another word for rabbit. Or, a rabbit like animal. How sweet!





A Winter Eden by Robert Frost


A winter garden in an alder swamp,
Where conies now come out to sun and romp,
As near a paradise as it can be
And not melt snow or start a dormant tree.

It lifts existence on a plane of snow
One level higher than the earth below,
One level nearer heaven overhead,
And last year's berries shining scarlet red.

It lifts a gaunt luxuriating beast
Where he can stretch and hold his highest feat
On some wild apple tree's young tender bark,
What well may prove the year's high girdle mark.

So near to paradise all pairing ends:
Here loveless birds now flock as winter friends,
Content with bud-inspecting. They presume
To say which buds are leaf and which are bloom.

A feather-hammer gives a double knock.
This Eden day is done at two o'clock.
An hour of winter day might seem too short
To make it worth life's while to wake and sport.

 

 Marcheta * if I make a conie stew, will my friends assume it is chili with hotdogs instead of hamburger?
 


This picture is clip art from The Print Shop 3.0 Professional, which I added my own touches to using Picasa software from Google. I like to use Print Shop software for making flyers, signs, labels, and other small print projects.  I like Picasa for quick and easy photo processing.

The poem is, of course, by Robert Frost. I am not sure what year Frost penned these lines, but does it matter? I think that they are timeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment