Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Monday, January 14, 2013

Pigeons and Pennies


Our January Thaw is disappearing fast.  I was not bundled up warm enough for it this morning when I left the house, so skipped going to my nature spot until later and decided to do errands instead. Since I usually start my days with a visit to the reservoir, I felt a bit discombobulate, especially since yesterday’s trip to Columbus to take Ava to Darby Creek Metro Park and Nature Center was a disappointment because it only netted Canada Geese. Yeah, they’re nice enough, but so common now we see them every day. So imagine how my spirit was lifted this morning when I came across about 50 pigeons at a large grassy area in front of Target.
 
 
Yeah, pigeons are common enough, but not around here and not in such a large number. I watched them for a while from the warmth of my car and ventured out into the cold a few times to get pictures. The experience made my day better, and the smile from my good fortune of watching the birds’ antics stayed with me while I shopped. 

A bright shiny penny was part of my change at the checkout. It, too, put a smile on my face as I remembered various times of finding a penny on a sidewalk or in a parking lot. When I got back to my car, the pigeons were gone, but the joy that they brought to me is a lasting memory.

During the short drive to the next shopping plaza, I was thinking about geese, pigeons,  and pennies; of how fortunes and dispositions can change in an instant, and had an idea.
 
When I got out of my car, I put the penny on the white stripe that separates parking places. I chose the stripe so that the penny would be highly visible.
This morning’s smiles will continue because someone will find that “lucky penny”, and also smile because he or she found a sign of good fortune. The penny may get spent quickly, but the memory of finding it on a cold January morning will be a lasting memory for the person who found it.

So, what is a penny worth these days? By itself, not much, really, unless it is an unexpected find. Then it becomes priceless.


Marcheta *fortunate one

No comments:

Post a Comment