Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Monday, August 19, 2013

Localvore Round-up



I am calling my Localvore Challenge Week a huge success. Other than just a few items, our food was sourced locally and cooked at home.

It took some planning and some adjusting, but my "test" showed me that it is, indeed, possible for people to eat healthy, locally grown and raised food.

Normally, I would not even be thinking this way because we have the orchard and usually a big garden. Too much rain ruined a lot of our own garden produce, which is why local sources became important to me this year.

Now, in other news.......


I've got a lot going on all at once, and I feel that life is out of balance right now. However, in a day or two all of these things will be taken care of and I can get back into some sort of routine.

We are now picking lots of apples and setting up at two farmers markets. I am also working on art work for two shows. The first one is on Saturday in downtown Mansfield during the Cruise In at Niabos Gallery. The name of the show is "Driven: a Celebration of Automotive Art."

In early September my work will be on display, along with other women, in Mansfield Richland County Public Library's main building, again in downtown Mansfield.

As you can imagine, I am scrambling to meet deadlines!



Marcheta *busy as a bee in a clover field

2 comments:

  1. You post so consistently that I wonder about your welfare if you miss a day. (There have been very few.). Glad to see that this time is was just "busyness" as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks for your concern, I really appreciate it!

      During any type of harvest people become a bit overwhelmed; whether it is a grain farmer, market grower, orchardist, honey producer, maple syruping...the stories are similar: Not enough hours in the day.

      I really hated the fact that I did not post yesterday, but it was one of those "not enough hours in the day" kind day :)

      Delete