Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Monday, August 26, 2013

Peach Dumplings ~ with a twist

 
 
 
 
Today Gladys is sharing a recipe for peach dumplings that she fixed recently. When I read the ingredients, my eyes and to re-adjust and look the list over again.
 
Why?
 
Because it calls for a  can of Mountain Dew.
 
Now, I've heard of Coca-Cola Cakes, Beer Bread, and other odd (to me) sounding recipes, but I never would have imagined pouring a can of pop over fruit dumplings.
 
Gladys says that this recipe is so good, and easy! I am seeing large peaches at produce stands and farmers markets these days, which I think are perfect for this recipe, so will give it a try. After all, I've known Gladys long enough that when she says a recipe tasty and easy, I believe her!
 
 
Marcheta *easy does it
 
  Peach Dumplings
 
2 lg.  whole peaches
2-8oz cans crescent rolls 
2 sticks butter
11/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
cinnamon to taste
1  12oz. can Mountain Dew
 
      Peel & pit peaches. Cut peaches into 8 slices each.
      Roll each peach slice in a crescent roll.   
      Place in a 9x13 buttered baking dish
      Melt butter, add sugar & stir, add vanilla
      Stir & pour entire mixture over peaches.
      Pour Mountain Dew around edges of pan.
      Sprinkle with cinnamon
      Bake at 350 degrees or 40 min.
      Serve with ice cream & spoon sauces from pan over
        ice cream.
 
     

3 comments:

  1. I have know Gladys for , well, I will just say, years and years, we grew up together and were (are ) good friends . If she says its good, its good, And sounds so easy. Gonna try it and pass it on !!!!!!!!!!!!
    `

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops ! known Gladys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phyllis, I totally agree! Gladys has prepared many "special" meals for me over the years, usually for my birthday, which I appreciate to no end. Can you imagine having her cook for us everyday? ummmUMMMMM!

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete