Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Saturday, August 24, 2013

Toggling

Packard Hood Ornament by Marcheta Gibson
LOL...when I wrote the title for this post, the old commercial for the children's toy, Weebles, came to my mind.

"Weebles Wobble but they Don't Fall Down". Now that's a smile right there, isn't it? :)






And the slogan is perfect for describing me at this time. I had a TON of work all at once that I had to toggle back and forth, most of it unplanned and at times I did indeed feel like falling down (collapsing, actually!) from the weight of it, but just like the roly-poly weebles, I am still standing, and able to rest well tonight because everything that needed to get done is done and arrangements that needed to be made are made.


Usually Jim helps set up and/or pack up for the farmers markets, and then goes on his merry way. Today he is flying solo in Bucyrus and manning the apple stand without me because I am at Heart of Ohio Cruise-In in Mansfield, where my photography is on display at Niabos Art Exhibition Gallery.

And..to make the day even fuller, my nephew is getting married. I will have to miss the ceremony but am hoping to see the happy couple at their reception.


WHEW-WEE ~ makes me tired just reviewing all that has gone on in the past two weeks!

Here's how it went down:

Hood ornament photography: post production in Photoshop, printed (at home on my Epson 1400 wide format photo printer), framed and/or packaged, priced, descriptions written, greeting cards made:
Check


Three art pieces framed, paper work done, ready to deliver  on Monday to Mansfield Richland Public Library for the Apronistas: Hidden Pockets exhibit: Check


Apples and pears: sorted, bagged, labeled, priced, money box prepared, support materials packed: check

Apple sauce and peach butter: made and in freezer: Check

Blabbing on this blog: only missed one day, so...how about a 99% check?

Laundry and dishes...not so much..... BUT the bare necessities are covered, so let's at least give me a half-check :)



When the dust settles after the car show, I'll know that it was all worth it, and like the lines that I wrote for Song of the Hood Ornament (to the tune of Singing in the Rain), I'll be, smilin' and singin' in the wind!

Actually, I know it now!

Marcheta *smilin' an' singin'

No comments:

Post a Comment