Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Friday, August 16, 2013

Total Local ~ Localvore Week, Day 5


This picture is of John Charlton and his son, who sell baked goods at both markets that I attend as a vendor. I've gotta tell you, their bread is the BEST EVER. No preservatives means it has to be kept in the refrigerator, but it is well worth the real estate  because it lasts and lasts.
 
Tuesday I was hoping to get a loaf of their maple oatmeal bread because it is the best sandwich bread I have ever tasted. But, alas, they were sold out by the time I was able to break free from my apple stand to shop. I ended up with an Italian herb loaf and all I can say is....
 
 
 
 
 
!!!!!MY WORD!!!!!
 
 
 
 
 
!!!!!!MY TASTEBUDS!!!!!!!
 
 
It was definitely a case of Love at First Bite :)
 
 
Now, along with the Charlton's cinnamon swirl bread (great for French Toast), maple oatmeal (for sandwiches) I now have to have their Italian herb on a regular basis. Half my grocery budget is going to be spent on bread...LOL
 
If you have a chance to shop at NorthSide Farmers Market (901 P.W.N. in front of Galion K.F.C./ Tuesdays 4 - 6) or Lil' Farmers Market (1695 E. Mansfield St., Bucyrus, across from Auto Zone, Saturday mornings 8:30 -noon), I highly recommend that you talk with John and try his family's bread. Mendy and I set up at both of those markets, too...so stop by and say "hey" to us!!
 
 
 
**********Localvore Update**********

 
Before supper yesterday, I make a quick trip to Mendy's store, The Farmers Wife. Lucky for me, she had 2 packages of home-made buns left. I nabbed one for tonight's meal, making it  TOTAL LOCAL.
 
 
 
*Y*A*Y*
 
So, what's on the menu for today? Well...we now have nectarines and plums, along with Ida Red apples, plus we still have Red Bartlett pears. Looks like a fruit compote to me!
 
Lunch will be simple, I just need to reheat the roast beef and cauliflower, add fresh fruit, and maybe fry up a few potatoes. Jim won't be around for dinner, which means I'll have something even more simple, like an egg sandwich. Again, it looks like a TOTAL LOCAL day!
 
Marcheta *keeping on keeping on! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment