Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Monday, May 20, 2013

Asparagus and Rhubarb and Pie, Oh My!

 
 
Alita is back today as guest blogger, sharing two of her favorite spring recipes. One features asparagus, the other rhubarb.
 
If you are in the Bucyrus, Ohio, area, Bucyrus Lil' Farmers Market has had a vendor with rhubarb for the past two Saturdays. The market is located in front of Sears, near Walmart, and runs from 8:30 a.m. - noon.
 
Asparagus may be a bit harder to find, but today I did see that Fairview Orchards has a sign out advertising that they have asparagus available. They are located on the corner of Middletown and Fairview Rds, just north of Galion.
 
 
Thanks, Alita, for sharing these recipes. As soon as I hit the "publish" button I am heading out to our asparagus patch to see if I can wrangle up a mess to fix for dinner!
 
 
Marcheta *loving new menu ideas :)
 
 
 
 

A Few of My Favorite Spring Things 
by Alita Daiber Phillips

Spring is not complete for me until I’ve enjoyed a few of my favorite asparagus and rhubarb recipes.  These are especially satisfying when made with rhubarb and asparagus fresh from our little patches.  Today’s lunch featured one of these:  Creamed Eggs and Asparagus on Toasted English Muffins.  

The recipe I used is a variation on the Country Asparagus Pie recipe from one of my favorite vintage cookbooks:  Farm Journal’s Meal and Menu Planner Cookbook.  I’ve been cooking from it since the 1980’s.  In those days, we did eat differently than we do now.  I enjoy tweaking the old favorites to fit our new lifestyle -- smaller family; lighter diet. 

Today, I prepared a smaller amount of the pie filling and served it over toasted English muffin halves.  Here is the original recipe with my adjustments noted in italics:

Country Asparagus Pie

Baked 9” pie shell (I serve the creamed mixture over English muffin halves or light bread slices, toasted)

4 c. asparagus cut in 1” pieces (about 2 #)

3 tbsp.  butter or regular margarine (I use no-salt)

3 tbsp. flour (I use unbleached)

1 c. milk (I use no-fat)

1 chicken bouillon cube (I use 1 tsp. Wyler’s sodium-free instant bouillon)

1 tsp. instant minced onion

¾ tsp. salt (I omit)

1/8 tsp. pepper

4 hard-cooked eggs

1/3 c. grated Cheddar cheese (I sprinkle a little over each individual serving.)

·   Cook asparagus in boiling salted water until tender.  (I do not use salt.)  Drain thoroughly in sieve.

·   Melt butter in 2-qt. saucepan; blend in flour.  Add milk and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles and is thickened.   Add bouillon, onion, salt and pepper.  Stir until bouillon is dissolved.

·   Remove from heat and add asparagus.  Chop 3 eggs and add to creamed mixture. 

·   Turn into baked pie shell.  Sprinkle with grated cheese.  Bake in 350o oven until cheese melts, about 7 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Cut remaining egg in 6 wedges; arrange on center of pie with points of one end together, petal fashion.  Serve at once.  Makes 6 servings. 

I hope we have enough rhubarb in our patch to make Rosy Spring Salad and Rhubarb Surprise Pie, both from Farm Journal’s Meal and Menu Planner Cookbook.   These use the “magic” of gelatin. 

Rosy Spring Salad

4 c. diced rhubarb

1 ½ c. water

½ c. sugar

2 (3-oz.) pkg. strawberry flavor gelatin (I use sugar-free)

1 c. orange juice

1 tsp. grated orange rind

1 c. sliced fresh strawberries

·   Combine rhubarb, water and sugar in saucepan.  Cook until tender, for about 4 to 5 minutes.  Pour over gelatin, stirring until dissolved.  Add orange juice and rind.  Cover and chill until thick and syrupy.

·   Fold in strawberries.  Pour into lightly oiled 6-c. mold; chill until set.  Makes 6 to 8 servings. 

I plan to try the Rhubarb Surprise Pie because it sounds like a good option for people who like strawberry rhubarb pie, but must avoid eating strawberry seeds.  I found a recipe just like the one in my cookbook at this link:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rhubarb-surprise-pie/.  

Hopefully, the local farmer’s markets will have plenty of asparagus and rhubarb for those like me who cannot get enough of these delicious springtime favorites. 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment