Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sweet Honey Wine

The thing that I love most about setting up
at farmers markets is meeting new people who, like us, have a hobby that has gone wild.

We are not dedicated market growers like many
of the vendors, our business is landscaping. Our fruit orchard is more of a hobby business, being too many trees for even an extended family, but
not so many that it requires full time attention.

At the markets we set up at, I think about half the
vendors fit into our category; people who work
other full time jobs (for security and insurance), but love growing things and want to live in a
more natural world.

At the Bucyrus Lil' Farmers Market we became friends with Bill and Kathy Beebe. This was as easy as can be because they are about the most likable people I've ever met. The Beebes are appropriately named because they are bee keepers, as well as having a menagerie of animals, large veggie, flower and herb gardens. Their business is Bebee's Bees.

Last fall, Bill bought apple cider from us. Like his bees, Bill is a busy kind of guy and decided to make mead.

I first heard of mead in "Robin Hood", as it was the favorite drink of Friar Tuck. The only thing I knew about mead is that it is made from honey.

When we went to buy bee supplies from Bill (who also has a bee supply business), he gifted us with a bottle of the mead he had made.

I like the taste of it...for me it is a "sipping drink", very relaxing. But what I like more is the fact that it was made by a friend using his honey and our cider. Now that, folks, is about as local and organic as it gets!

Jim pretty much sticks to drinking beer, so I shared the mead with my social media mentor and now good friend, Violeta Chinni.

We did not polish off the bottle and it sat in the fridge for about a month. By yesterday, the amber liquid was pretty strong. Jim finally had his tasting and all I am going to say is that his eyes suddenly opened up about as wide as I've ever seen them. :)

I knew the wine was past its prime, but did not want to pitch it.

I decided to slow cook a pork roast with the mead.

Good decision!

Marcheta *hog-wild for honey wine

PS If you want to learn more about mead, Got Mead is a good place to start.


2 comments:

  1. There's no reason to throw out good wine. I love your idea to make a roast with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noel, it was interesting to taste something new. Made me feel as if I were in Sherwood Forest :)

      The pork roast was tasty. Goes to prove the old saying, "nothing ventured, noting gaine", eh?

      Thanks for posting.

      Marcheta

      Delete