Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Friday, May 10, 2013

Candle in the Wind ~or~ Country Storms




Do you like thunder storms?

I do.

Although storms are frightening everywhere, there is something about watching a country sky when a high wind tosses about lightning rods that light up and give life to dark storm clouds.

Even as a small kid, when a storm came rolling across the fields I would sit on our porch with my little brothers to watch it, all of us wrapped up in Dad’s scratchy army blanket.  The olive green wool was our shield, keeping us warm and dry as we watched the sky light up while the wind sprayed us with cold rain.
Now that I am “all grown up”, I still like to be on my porch to watch storms.  It is sort of like having the whole multi-media experience. With my cat D.C. rubbing around my feet, I often have a camera set up to see if I can get the Great American Lightening Shot.

I am still waiting for that fame. But, no bother; for me the most fun comes from trying.

This picture is from a few summers ago when I attempted to capture lightening as it struck. This particular storm did not produce anemic streaks of lightening, but full-blown bolts that lit the landscape as bright as a full moon at midnight. I stuck a candle in a small milkware custard cup to see what the effect would be.
I might have had success if I had used a tripod, but it was in the car and I did not want to venture out for it. But still, the experience was worth the effort.  And as long as I stay on my porch during storms, I feel safe enough to try to capture the illusive illuminations.

We had a storm early this morning. Or so I am told. I slept right through it. But….surprise, surprise, our “Electric” went out around 5:30 a.m. It did not come back until just after lunch. For us, it also means no Internet. L

And to make matters more complicated, the way our house is wired, when the electric blows and comes back, some of the lines refuse to go back to work. Gotta love the old houses, eh?
We finally got our power to work in every room, but still have no Internet.  Thank goodness for Galion Public Library! I don’t want to miss a day of posting so I came to the library (in a light rain that may build strength) to work.

Marcheta *zapped

No comments:

Post a Comment