Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Theif in the Night


Do you see a humming bird feeder in this crabapple tree?

No?







Neither do I.



Sunday morning, when Ava and I were having breakfast, we saw a lovely little Goldfinch at the finch feeder. I was looking at the feeder area trying to figure out what was "wrong" with the picture when Ava said that she saw a hummingbird in the front yard earlier. 



Then it clicked. Where was the humming bird feeder? 


When I put the feeder in the tree a few days earlier, I made sure that it was installed good and tight because I did not want it to be tossed about in the wind. Apparently, my method did not secure the feeder against nocturnal masked bandits, aka raccoons.      



I wonder if this heist was carried off by a lone bandit, maybe a mother looking for a quick snack for its kits, or if it were a more elaborate scheme. Either way, I am out a feeder. You can bet your bottom dollar that when I go shopping for a new one, I'll look for one that I can practically weld to the tree :)



Raccoons are a real problem for us. The sneaky pests can strip a peach tree in a single night, usually just before the peaches are ready to pick. They also like to nosh in our pear trees.  And let's not even talk about what they do to a corn patch! And now stealing bird feeders? Really? 

It's too much and I am out for revenge. So be warned,  Masked Invaders, I'm on to you. 


Marcheta *putting on her detective hat
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment