Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Friday, May 24, 2013

Herb Vinegar Chapter 2: Basic Salad Dressing





Like making soups, stews, stir-fries, tossed salads, and the like, making salad dressing is a process. Making salad dressings at home is wonderful because you are in control of the ingredients and can adjust the flavors to your own liking. 

Here is an idea to get you started:

1/2 cup herb vinegar

1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use Florida Crystals  since most granulated sugar comes from GMO sugar beets and I am doing my best to avoid GMO food)

1 t salt (I use sea salt)

1 t Penzeys Forward (optional, if you don't have it, it is OK. You could use paprika instead if you have some on hand)

1 t dry mustard

I cup olive, vegetable, or canola oil

In a medium sized bowl, whisk all of the ingredients EXCEPT the oil to blend them. Then add the oil in a steady, thin stream, whisking all the while. I use the whisk on a hand-held mixer on low speed. You can  also use a food processor or blender, but why have an extra appliance to clean?

If you are not using the dressing immediately, transfer your salad dressing to a bottle or jar (with lids) and store in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before dressing tossed salads.

Naturally, you can tweak this recipe. Try adding spices, such as paprika, , garlic powder, lemon zest, celery seed....you get the idea. Usually  1/2 - 1 teaspoon of any is a good amount to try. You can always add more if you think it needs it, but it's not so easy to take away an overspill...LOL. :)

Here I must add that this is a very tart dressing. If you like sweeter dressing, add more sugar. I put most of the dressing I made today in an old-fashioned Good Seasonings mixer/server bottle that I found at my local Goodwill store. I put the rest of the dressing in a jelly jar. To this, I am going to add honey, and dig around in my spice cupboard to see what combos I can come up with. 

You can do it, too! Put on your "Mad  Glad Scientist" hat and create your own recipe! Who knows? You might just come up with an award-winning recipe for pasta or potato salad, all because of your unique dressing :)

Creativity. That's what I'm talkin' about!!

Marcheta *Kitchen "Glad"iator 






Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment