Who We Are



The past few years, the area where I live, Crawford County, Ohio, has seen a wonderful explosion of younger families who are embracing the joys and challenges of living off the land. Because of them, amazing things are happening which have been embraced by our community. Farmer’s markets have been created and on-farm stores have opened. Families dedicated to growing organic produce and naturally raised meats are meeting the public’s needs for locally raised foods. And at the heart of this movement are the women.



Ohio Country Journal is my attempt to share the essence of farm life, focusing on, but not limited to, women. My goal is to bring you into our circle of friendship by inviting you to share your stories and experiences with us. You don’t have to be a full time country woman to benefit from joining us; you just have to be you.





The full-time country women featured in Ohio Country Journal are an inspiration to anyone who dares to follow her dreams, whether it is to live in the country or to bring the country life-style to their urban neighborhoods.





Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Reflections on Country Neighbors


Not many people live on my stretch of road. It took me a long time to know the other people who live in the houses strewn along this narrow road because my own house sits back a lane. It's pretty isolated and private back here, which I like, but for many years I did not feel a sense of "neighborhood". 

 Since we have to drive to get everywhere we want to go, people mostly just wave "hello" to each other as we pass one another in our cars. There's no taking a break from work to talk to a neighbor across the fence like the poet Robert Frost so often depicted in his poems about country life.


Which I think is pretty sad, really, but eventually I got to know people.

Like any neighborhood, mine has its "characters", the few quirky people who make things interesting.

The man in the picture is one such "quirk" (and I say that in a fond manner).

I don't know much about him other than he lives alone in an underground house and never mows his property, he lets  his horse graze and do its thing.

He patrols the road several times a day, picking up aluminum cans. A few times last winter I found him walking into town on the highway, very unusual (and dangerous). In giving him lifts, I began to think that maybe he is in the first stages of dementia and talked to Jim about it.


Jim did some investigating and found out that my hunch is true. Our neighbor had his "wheels" taken from him because of his condition. His brother checks in on him daily and takes him places, so I haven't seen him on the highway lately, a good thing.


But it is no surprise to still see him walking along the road. What *did* surprise me yesterday is that he was not picking up cans, but whacking the bejeezus out of a dandelion.

I stopped my car to have a little chat with him, to ask how he's doing..how is his horse, and whatnot.

This is just small talk for most of us, but it means a lot to a lonely person whose brain is changing its think patterns.

The smile on his face as we were talking was more than enough payment for taking 5 minutes from my day.

"So.." I asked, "what's up with the dandelions?"

"Oh, I hate these things!!!!" he replied as he moved away from the one he had beaten to a pulp and started pummeling another innocent yellow "weed".

"Well, I see you have your day's work cut out for you, so I'll let you to it." He did not seem overwhelmed when he looked at the endless supplies of dandelions, in fact, his smile seemed serene...like this was his purpose and it was not going away anytime soon.


His behaviour gave me food for thought. This is what my mind has been chewing on...are people wired to have occupations? For instance, are we similar to bees in our genetic make up, that we have to have a purpose, a "something to do"?


For my neighbor, it seems like his brain has decided that his new occupation is killing dandelions. An odd choice, I think, because of the wide array of weeds and grasses that he has lived with for so long. I mean, wouldn't you think that bright yellow flowers would be welcome in his "meadow" of a yard?

Maybe they are. Maybe he's angry with the ones that grow in the ditches for leaving home.

This is what I do know. My neighbors are scattered and mostly aloof, but they are *my* neighbors and I care about them. Several of us are keeping an eye on our Dandelion Slayer, just to make sure that he stays safe.

And, really, the entertainment he provides is priceless....gives us something to talk about other than the weather. :)

As an after-thought, I snapped this pic of him from the car door mirror, to help me remember that day, our conversation, and to remember that the things that give us purpose also give us delight.

Marcheta *and like a good neighbor...  

8 comments:

  1. Marcheta this is nothing short of terrific. You and your cards are going to to do well. I love photography and have been doing it for 36 years, but have spent to many years of writing technical junk, that I lack the beauty of words written like you jut have. Keep it up, it is enjoyable beyond anything I can do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike!
    We all measure wealth in our own ways, eh?

    And, BTW...it's never too late to tap into your inner Peter Max or John Steinbeck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My inner Steinbeck is now confined to tech manuals for Fiber Optics, I am not surehow I could write fiction, so you are going to have to cover it for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,

      My "fiction" usually sits on a back burner in my brain, cluttering up the space but because it is entertaining, I allow it to hang around. Mostly I write what I observe. This is a great place to start for fiction, too, because as we all know, Truth is Stranger. Most of us simply cannot imagine most of the goofy stuff that we notice other people doing :)

      Remember some of our teachers from school? Need I say more? :)

      Delete
  4. Mike,
    Speaking as a former phone company technical writer, I know the shift from technical writing to "fun stuff" can be accomplished. My solution was to sit down one day and write all the crazy things that were filed in the back of my head. I didn't worry about form or grammar or plot or anything like that... just wrote down the words....

    Funny enough, once I gave voice to some of those words, the rest lined up for their chance.

    Give it a shot one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noel,

      Maybe I have been looking at this all wrong. As a former Telcom person, you know we never lack huge amounts of funny.

      Delete
    2. Mike, this is exactly what I was talking about in the reply that I just wrote for you.

      Get out! Unleash those words! Be Free at Last!

      :)

      Delete
    3. Marcheta, I am not really sure I can put some of this in print, I not sure anyone would believe it.

      Delete